Monday, August 8, 2011

The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent

I'm not entirely sure what kind of book Kent was writing here. It started out as fairly straight-forward historical fiction about a soldier turned royal executioner who fled to the English colonies in America, and mercenaries who attempt to find him and bring him back to England to face justice. The female main character meets the soldier who is now an indentured worker for her cousin. The book follows their rocky courtship and gives a detailed look at how people lived in colonial New England.

The one problem I had with the book is a scene about midway through it. It's as if it was dropped in for no good reason, and almost has a supernatural or dreamlike air to it. Within a chapter or two, I went back to re-read it in case I missed something. The writer then seemed to return to her original plan after that one scene and no more was said about it. The only explanation given was in the afterword where the author explained that some of the characters were real people and the female lead was later involved in the Salem witch trials.

So, my verdict: I liked the book for the historical detail but I feel like I may have missed something.

No comments:

Post a Comment