Tuesday, June 28, 2011

World War Z by Max Brooks

Years ago I stumbled across Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide. It was good mainly because it was so deadpan as it described the best ways to outsmart and defeat the zombie menace. When I heard that Brad Pitt was making a movie out of World War Z, I decided to pick it up for our trip to the beach.

I understand that this is not a book for everyone. It is an oral history of the zombie war. Two things make it good: one, as a former history grad student, the oral history part is dead on. Two, there is no tongue-in-cheek here. If you just took out the word "zombie" and inserted "Communist" or "Fascist," etc., it would sound just like a real history book.

So, if you are so inclined, and this sounds interesting to you, check it out. But don't say I didn't warn you. Interesting author note: Max Brooks is the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft. He has also written for Saturday Night Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment