Monday, May 9, 2011

The Scent of Rain & Lightning by Nancy Pickard

I can honestly say I had no idea "whodunit" until the author revealed everything near the end. I like that in a book. Partly set in the present day but mostly involving events 23 years earlier, you and the main character try to figure out what happened to her parents when she was a toddler. Her father was killed during a violent storm in a town on the Kansas plains. Her mother (or her body) was never found. When the presumed killer is released from prison after the governor commutes his sentence, their daughter tries to find out what really went on that night. In her small town where everyone knows everything about her it seems as if they all want to protect her, or keep her from digging too deep in the past. It was fascinating. And with all the vivid storm descriptions in the book, I felt like it was raining outside while I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment