Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

The author is a Mississippi native and the title comes from how I (and countless other children)was taught to spell Mississippi: M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback-humpback-I. I found this book on the Lemuria Books blog and got it from the library. (This is the only one that the library had by the author but I hope they get more.)

The story takes place in the present but is heavily influenced by events of 30 years ago, when the main characters were in high school. Back then a teenage girl disappeared when she was supposed to be on a date with one of the protagonists, but was really with the other. To make things even more difficult, one was black and one was white. The girl was never found and all these years later another teenager has disappeared.

The white man has lived with the town's suspicion all this time and is accused once again. The black man is now the town's police officer and investigating the disappearance. It was fascinating. I loved the way the author writes dialogue - it's very natural and sounds like people really talk, especially in that part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment